Thursday, February 11, 2010

What a Day

Today was a busy day. First of all, we woke up to snow. I had an appointment at 9:30 a.m. and then I dropped Carter and Ava of at Heather's house while I took Bennett to Speech. We then went back to Heather's for a play date with friends. Once we got there, I was looking forward to relaxing, having the kids play, and socializing with adults. Which did happen, until I noticed the front door open and instantly knew that Carter had gone outside. I ran out looking everywhere and screaming his name. He was no where to be seen. I have never felt such anguish before in my life. My little 2 year old was out of my site and I had no idea where to even start to look for him. Luckily, Heather spotted him running down the field across the street at the school. I don't think I have ever ran so hard in my life, which only encouraged Carter to ran faster away from me. I caught up to him and picked him up and just hugged him. I thought that maybe I would get mad at him, but at that moment I was overwhelmed with gratitude and love, I broke down in tears. Tears of joy, gratitude, and guilt for not protecting my child. Carter just kept saying, "why? mommy, why?". He was gone for less than three minutes, I can't imagine mothers that loose their kids for an hour, a day, a week. My heart still breaks a little everytime I think about him crossing the street by himself. This day could have ended so horribly, but intsead Carter is sleeping peacefully, safe in his bed. What I learned from this is that any day could end horribly, and I need to make the best out of everyday, because in an instant it could change. I also need to get latches put on my doors. Little Carter don't scare me like that again, please!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is so scary!!! I am so glad he is ok.

Christy said...

I have been there and know how you feel. They are just too young to know what they are doing. I will give him lots of kisses. They were so good at my house Friday night. I LOVE HAVING GRANDKIDS!