Monday, August 27, 2012

Back to School


I am not a mom that loves when my kids go back to school.  I like having them around and miss them terribly when they are gone.  I am excited for them, for the experiences they are having and I know it's good for them to get away and learn from others, but it also means they are growing up and becoming more independent.  Sniff, Sniff!

Carter started Pre-Kindergarten this year.  Carter is my most mellow kid.  He is happy to go to school or he is happy to stay home.  Either way, he will find something fun to do. When I picked him up from his first day, I asked him how his day was.  His response was, "Good.  I'll go back." So I guess that means he liked it. Throughout the day he gave me a little more insight as to what his school day looked like.  They read a book about Chilly Willy the Penguin, who is to cold so he moved to Hawaii. They had bananas and pretzels for a snack.  His teachers name is Miss Trisha. And there is a boy named Logan in his class.  I love this little face and can't believe he is almost 5!
 Carter started school before Bennett, which made it fun for Bennett to be able to send him off.
 Bennett started 2nd grade at his new school today.  He is doing a dual immersion program learning french.  Which means half the day will be taught completely in French, no English.  The second half of the day is in English.  He was a little nervous to start this program since he is a year behind the other kids in his grade.  On the way to school this morning he said, "I wish I was allergic to something right now".  Meaning he wanted an excuse to not go.  He is such an outgoing, smart kid.  I know he will catch up and make great friends.  
 Ava felt a little left out, so we had to take her picture.
 My 3 beautiful babies are growing up to fast!
 Oak Hollow had the red carpet rolled out.  Literally, they had a red carpet leading to the front door for the kids to walk up.  It was the royal treatment for these kiddos.  Even the school mascot was there.
 Bennett was cool with everything, until it was time to go in the classroom.  Then he got really nervous and didn't want me to leave.  The mom in me wanted to scoop him up and take him home.  However, the teacher in me knew it was best to walk away and have faith that he would be fine.  I am tearing up just writing about it right now.  Sometimes the hardest things to do as a parent, are the best things for our children.  When he saw me after school he burst into tears.  I immediately burst into tears not knowing what his day had been like and assuming the worst.  It turns out he put his lunch box in the wrong bucket and couldn't find it.  Well that was easy to fix and he has been all smiles since.  


No comments: